"Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure."
Our mission throughout the Santa Barbara Veterinary Group is to prevent your pet from needing veterinary care in between their annual wellness checkups. In order to do this we employ philosophies aimed at minimizing or eliminating unnecessary vaccinations, screening tests for early detection and/or peace of mind, and preventative care such as weight loss programs, parasite prevention and preventative dental treatments.
30 Minute Consultations are standard at Goleta Airport Pet Hospital (most veterinary hospitals schedule 15 and 20 minute appointments). This gives our doctors and staff ample opportunity to answer all your questions and provide you with information, empowering you to make informed decisions.
"Santa Barbara Itch" / Pet Dermatology Services
- Itchy skin is almost an inevitable part of living in the paradise of Santa Barbara. However, our veterinarians are very skilled in this area, relieving many patients of their itching, often without using steroid medications long-term (as is done by many other veterinarians). We see many clients who are looking for a second opinion and become lifetime clients/patients due to our success.
Advanced Pet Dentistry
- Not only do we provide routine dental cleaning/treatments, but we also offer a wide-array of advanced dentistry. The key to saving teeth and avoiding unnecessary extractions, is utilizing state-of-the-art Digital X-ray technology to evaluate the health of your pet's teeth. When needed, however, we offer an extensive pain control protocol that ensures your pet is as pain-free as possible.
- Other advanced dentistry techniques that we utilize include tooth sparing techniques such as Doxirobe treatments, root planing and bonding restoration for fractured teeth.
Soft Tissue Surgery for Pets
- Our doctors are skilled in many advanced soft-tissue surgeries such as splenectomies (removal of spleen), cystotomies (bladder stone removal), ophthalmic (eye) surgeries such as "cherry-eye" or entropion (rolling in of eyelid), etc. Please inquire for many other surgical services not listed here.
- We also offer select advanced orthopedic surgery correction such as Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO) and Patellar Luxation repair. Post-operative Rehabilitation (Physical Therapy) is also offered through HydroPaws.
- Through our HydroPaws Animal Rehabilitation and Performance Center, we offer rehabilitative services when orthopedic surgery is not an option. As a part of the Santa Barbara Veterinary Group, we are the only pet hospital or clinic in Santa Barbara to offer Penn Hip screening for puppies and potential breeders. We also offer OFA certifications for hips and elbows.
- General anesthesia is often feared by many. We too, take general anesthesia very seriously and have implemented our own "balanced approach to anesthesia" in order to minimize inherent risks associated with anesthesia. By utilizing smaller amounts of a slightly wider array of very safe anesthetic agents, we minimize each of their side-effects, in essence "balancing" the anesthesia and providing a lighter, safer anesthesia with less "hangover".
- We are one of very few Santa Barbara veterinary hospitals (outside of specialty centers) that employs the use of Sevoflurane gas anesthesia. Sevoflurane, the latest inhalant in veterinary anesthesia gives a rapid, precise control over the depth of anesthesia (by having low blood gas solubility and a greater range of vaporizer settings). In addition, Sevoflurane doesn't irritate airways. Clients can expect a smooth return of their pet's cognitive and motor skills and a quick return home.
Pain Control and Pet Acupuncture
- Adjunct pain relief utilizing Acupuncture and physical therapy.
- Physical Therapy is provided by HydroPaws Animal Rehabilitation and Performance Center, a part of our Santa Barbara Veterinary Group (SBVG)
- Acupuncture is a long-established Chinese medical practice involving the insertion of fine needles to stimulate healing and the release of hormones that help with pain and inflammation. Dr Kelly Doria at Montecito Pet Hospital will be happy to discuss details appropriate for your pet.
Oncology / Chemotherapy
- Cancer is an unfortunate part of any veterinary practice. Our veterinarians have a lot of experience treating many forms of cancer with chemotherapy when indicated. Additionally, pets tolerate chemotherapy in general much better than we as humans.
- Radiation referrals and referrals to consult with board-certified oncologists through our extensive network are also available.
- We offer in-hospital Digital X-ray Technology with Telemedicine review by board-certified Radiologists to detect early heart disease. EKG Telemedicine by board-certified Cardiologists is also available and can aid in ensuring any heart arrhythmia is screened for underlying heart disease. Additionally, our advanced ultrasound machine can evaluate your pet's heart function and pinpoint problems.
- The number one reason pets are relinquished by their families to shelters is due to behavior problems. Most of these behavior problems can be corrected with client guidance and proper training. Our veterinary staff is skilled at evaluating behavior problems, giving great plans for correction as well as supplemental resources for families.
- Vaccinations have been a wonderful tool in eliminating and preventing serious diseases; however, we have known for some time that vaccines are generally overused, especially in older animals with limited lifestyles. To that end, we have been employing the use of strategic vaccine schedules and vaccine antibody titer tests with the goal of minimizing unnecessary vaccines. We evaluate your pet's lifestyle (indoor only vs. outdoors, exposure to wildlife, ticks, heartworm, etc.) in order to make vaccine decisions in conjunction with you - the caretaker of your pet.
- Our hospital laboratory is fully equipped with blood analyzers allowing us to get rapid results on critical patients. We also offer blood work in our lab for some routine rechecks for your convenience.
- We have chosen our referral laboratory due to its excellent quality, rapid turn-around (same day) and fair prices. We send our extensive screening panels and biopsy specimens to be examined by board-certified Veterinary Pathologists. We also send certain tests to U.C. Davis and select specialty labs around the country when needed.
Boarding / Kennel
- When you are away, your pet will be loved and cared for by our compassionate staff. Your pet will be safe, staying with veterinary supervision, receiving special diets, medications, injections, etc.
- If your pet will boarding Friday, Saturday and / or Sunday, boarding is available at San Roque Pet Hospital because they are open seven days a week. Call (805) 682-2647 for reservations.
- We offer great bathing specials and medicated baths with a gentle touch, for cats and dogs.